SAND CREEK festival, inc. PRESENTS
sand creek cardboard Regatta
Saturday, August 17, 2019
10:00 am — 1:00 pm
This year the battle of Sand Creek cardboard supremacy is on, and it won’t cost you a shilling. Anyone can build a cardboard boat, but can you build a seaworthy vessel in ninety minutes with cardboard, two pool noodles, a roll of duct tape and a knife? Can it beat out all the other boats in a mad dash from one side of Sand Creek to the other? AND… can you beat the Newton Now’s infamous “Death Boat 3”, the scourge of Sand Creek and the Seven Seas, as the canons (and Adam) roar from its bows? We want you to find out!
This is the ultimate in “green” transportation! Bring a team, your family, or even your workmates and work in unison to create the cardboard boat of your dreams… or your foes nightmares! Who cares if your boat sinks or not, there’s an award for that! Remember, that this year, TWO may captain the boat if you choose. Enjoy the possibility and excitement of being the fastest cardboard boat on Sand Creek!
Entry Fee – $0.00
There is no stinking entry fee! This is free to all teams interested. BUT, you must have purchased a button to get into the festival in order to build a boat.
Fastest Boat – Be the first to finish
Best Design – Make that boat the Titanic… or maybe the Black Pearl
Most Spectacular Sinking – Speaking of Titanic…
Best Team Concept – Dress the part, act the part, create the part… you get it!
9:00 AM – Registration Begins at Park Gazebo
10:00 AM – Building Begins
11:30 AM – Parade to Boat Ramp
12:00 PM – Preliminary Judging and Regatta Begins
• Build a boat in 90 minutes or less with cardboard, utility knife, duct tape and pool noodles. Team awards will be given for Best Design, Best Team Concept, Most Spectacular Sinking and Fastest Time.
• Rules & Regulations
1. You can only use the tools and supplies provided
– Roll of duct tape
– Two pool noodles
– Box cutter (used by adult ONLY)
2. Teams may start building at the start of the horn & end at the final long horn sound. The burst of three horn blasts designates 15 minutes remaining.
3. You may bring & use spray paint or decorative accessories if they don’t add buoyancy or help with the overall flotation of the boat.
– Check with event representative in gazebo before using
– Unauthorized material will result in immediate disqualification.
4. Time limit of one hour and thirty minutes.
5. There will be NO team size limit, but only two team members (or less) will be allowed to captain (ride in) the boat.
6. Boat riders must be 14 or older.
7. Captain MUST wear an approved flotation device
8. TEAM MUST PROVIDE THEIR OWN APPROVED FLOTATION DEVICE!!
9. Riders must be in an upright position (seated or kneeling) to pilot the boat.
10. Oars, sails or other steering/propelling devices must be made from initial materials given.
11. If the captain has half his body under water or is floating by use of his vest, they are considered sunk.
1. The rider(s) will enter the water on the boat ramp on the east side of the creek and may use the help of teammates.
2. Your teammates have to let go once the starting horn blows.
3. An official will signal when the opposite wall is touched and then when the team has touched the boat ramp again.
Tips to Having a FUN the Regatta
• Develop a great theme from a movie, a real life event, a song, a cartoon, etc.
• Dress the part! Not only the boat, but yourselves. You have a chance to win Best Float Design, Best Theme & Craziest Crew!
• Have fun during the parade. Sing, dance, or act your theme out. La La Land style
• Decorate your boat with flare!