SAND CREEK festival, inc. PRESENTS
sand creek cardboard Regatta
Saturday, July 10, 2021
Once again the battle of Sand Creek cardboard supremacy is on, and again, it won’t cost you a dime! AND, this year, you have plenty of time to build it. We are giving you up to 11 days to build the ultimate boat. The material list has expanded, the regatta is back on the creek and the possibilities from the imagination are endless!
This is the ultimate in “green” transportation! Find you team, your family, your workmates or your organization to work in unison to create the cardboard boat of your dreams… or your foes nightmares! Who cares if your boat sinks or not, there’s an award for that! Design your craft for one or two captains. Enjoy the possibility and excitement of being the fastest cardboard boat on Sand Creek!
Because of a new swimming pool possibly being in the midst of construction in 2021, we are planning on utilizing Sand Creek. If not, we will be back in the public pool.
Entry Fee – $0.00
There is no stinking entry fee! This is free to all teams interested. BUT, ALL TEAM MEMBERS MUST WEAR A SCSD BUTTON.
Fastest Boat – Be the first to finish
Best Design – Make that boat the best looking our there
Most Spectacular Sinking – Speaking of Titanic…
Best Team Concept – Dress the part, act the part, create the part… you get it!
10:00 – 11:00 AM – Drop off boats at 4th St boat ramp for inspection
11:15 AM – Parade of Boats and Judging
12:00 PM – Regatta Begins
• To have fun and develop teamwork in building a boat out of only the materials given to you. Team awards will be given for Best Design, Best Team Concept, Most Spectacular Sinking and Fastest Time.
• Rules & Regulations
1. You can only use the supplies provided
- 1 – wood pallet (all matching)
- 2 – pool noodles
- 2 – rolls of duct tape
- 1 – ball of twine
- 1 – tube of adhesive
- TBD – sheets of cardboard (we will try to match every team as closely as possible for fairness)
2. Teams may pick up their boat kits from B&B Lumber and begin building between June 31 to July 11 (at 5:00), 2021.
3. Craft Decorations:
- Paint – this can not be any sort of chemical that repels or waterproofs liquid from entering cardboard, cracks or seams of boat
- Decorations – these must only beautify or add to the general theme of the craft but cannot add adhesion of separate parts, waterproofing or bouncy
- If there are questions regarding what is and is not allowed, please contact Greg at B&B Lumber
4. During inspection, if any craft is found to have broken the good faith of building rules, the boat will be disqualified
5. There will be NO team size limit, but only one or two team members will be allowed to captain (ride in) the boat.
6. Boat riders must be 14 or older.
7. Captains MUST wear an approved flotation device
8. TEAM MUST PROVIDE THEIR OWN APPROVED FLOTATION DEVICE!!
9. Riders must be in an upright position (seated or kneeling) to pilot the boat.
10. If any captain has half his body under water or is floating by use of his vest, they are considered sunk.
1. The rider(s) will enter the water on the side of the boat ramp with the craft facing south and may use the help of teammates for stabilization.
2. Teammates must let go when the starting horn blows.
3. Each boat must make it to the other side of Sand Creek and back to finish the race.
4. The team must touch the opposite wall with one occupant(s) hand before turning around to come back to the finish line.
5. Boat launch starting wall must be touched by hand to complete race for each craft.
6. Intentionally interfering with another craft will result in disqualification.
7. Each team is responsible for removing ALL parts of their craft from the water once the event is over.
Tips to Having a FUN the Regatta
• Develop a great theme from a movie, a real life event, a song, a cartoon, etc.
• Dress the part! Not only the boat, but yourselves. You have a chance to win Best Float Design, Best Theme & Craziest Crew!
• Have fun during the parade. Sing, dance, or act your theme out. La La Land style
• Decorate your boat with flare!