Summer Daze Important Info
2019 Festival Updates
Greeting from the Sand Creek Summer Daze Committee,
Initial planning for the 2019 Sand Creek Summer Daze Festival has been initiated and the basic structure has been set. This year’s festival will be held the same weekend, Aug 16-18, 2019. We have taken many of the popular events and will be repeating them, along with improvements to each. We will also be introducing a few more that we hope the Newton community and all who pass through the gates will find entertaining and enjoyable. Updates of these will be announced on our Facebook page.
This year’s button design is shown on our Facebook page and will be available for pre-sale this February or March. The pricing will remain the same, $4 at all pre-sale events, and $5 at the gates. Any group wishing to purchase 50 or more buttons may have a negotiated price. Ages 5 and under are free. All pre-sale events will be listed on the website throughout the year.
We HAVE changed a few major components of the festival:
•The Fantastic Food Truck-o-rama will be outside of the north gates, so that the public can sample the delicious smells emanating from the area without having to enter the grounds. We are hoping this will pull more people into the park grounds.
•We have also eliminated all concert ticket pricing. With the support of Newton businesses, we can now allow the public free access to most all events, minus the Hard Redz Home Brewing Competition.
•We have been granted permission by the Kansas City BBQ Society, because of the success of last year’s competition (minus the rain), to host a Master Series Sanctioned Contest. This will bring in more teams who can compile points. This WILL NOT keep out the local amateurs who wish to compete, but allow for more types of meats to be judged.
•Some events have moved locations and days/times on which they will be held. This is for a more enjoyable and better flowing festival. Some of these include:
•The Saucy & Glazed BBQ Competition Public Tasting & The Seedz of Sand Creek Concert will be held Friday, August 16th in the west parking lot of the park
- The main BBQ competition will be held Saturday the 17th in the west parking lot as well
- The Hard Redz Home Brewing Completion will be held Saturday the 17th in the tennis court area
- We are still looking to add sponsors, new events and volunteers to the festival family. If you are interested, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to seeing you there this year.
Where to purchase buttons:
April 6 until July 27, 2019: ($4) Buying buttons at these events or locations will get a you an entry for a chance to win Sand Creek Charlie’s Golden Ticket!
Festival Kick-off & Dead Man Standing Movie Showing: (April 6, 2019) – Meridian Center
Newton Downtown Car Show (Saturday, May 4, 2019) Newton Now office
Newton’s End of Summer Blowout Ticket Event – Friday, June 21st 4 pm to 7 pm Wild Prairie Event Center (1610 SE 3rd St) Special $3 button event!
More T.B.A. soon
July 29 to August 15, 2019: ($5)
- Midland National Bank (527 N Main Street | 1212 Washington Rd Locations)
- First Bank (128 E Broadway | 1404 S Kansas Ave | 1216 N Main, inside Dillon’s | 347A N Old Highway 81, Hesston, KS )
- Berkshire Hathaway Home Services (616 N Main Street)
- For multiple button discounts email a message to us on the Contact Page
The festival will have a first aid station set up in the northeast area of the festival, near the gazebo.
If you are a member of the media who wishes to film, photograph or broadcast from the festival, media badges are available and may be obtained by emailing email@example.com with your request.
Parking will only be available inside Athletic park on the east parking lot and west side parking spots of the circle drive. The grass lot across from the 4H building will also be open for festival parking. Banners will show this parking area. See parking map (HERE) for details.
Why not ride your bike to the park and store it safely at the festival. Our friends at Newton Bike Shop will man a secured bike corral located at the northeast side of Athletic Park. See maps of festival grounds to view the exact location.
Do you or an organization wish to help volunteer for our community festival? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Do’s & Dont’s
- Buy your buttons early.
- Remember to bring and wear your button at all times to and inside the festival grounds.
- Bring your phone for surprise giveaways during the festival.
- Wear sunscreen and comfortable footwear.
- Check out the interactive map of the festival on the mobile or regular site.
- Check the website weekly for special added events and other fun contests.
- Allow ample time for possible bag checks at the gate.
- Bring cash for buttons, various concessions and memorabilia inside the festival.
- Ride bicycles, scooters, skateboards etc. inside of festival grounds.
- Bring coolers or outside food or beverages inside festival areas.
- Bring pets of any kind into the festival grounds. (therapy and other medical pets allowed)
- Bring weapons of any kind inside festival areas.
- Drones and aerial vehicles are not allowed to fly over the festival at any time without prior authorization. (see media info below) Local authorities will be contacted.
- Sell any item, food or otherwise not approved by the festival on or in the parking lots around the festival or inside the festival gates