About the Festival
The Sand Creek Summer Daze Festival is a dynamic, summer festival, encouraging the Newton and surrounding communities to celebrate and discover numerous fun and enjoyable events bundled together on the banks of Sand Creek. Events during the festival will range from entertaining to deliciously delectable, as well as competitive to educational.
The festival boasts multiple stage concerts and individual music performances. If you have a competitive streak, you might organize and bring a team to compete in the life size human foosball tournament.. For a splash of summer coolness, enter the belly flop competition. Enjoy casually strolling through the festival grounds to watch artists create murals featuring the beauty of Sand Creek and the Newton area. Treat your taste buds with great food and beverages of all types or simply take a rest and watch a “heated” ice cream eating contest with free ice cream for all afterward. The little ones can take a ride on the Sand Creek Sentinel, the official barrel train of Summer Daze.
There will be several talent performances including a magician to dazzle you with his craft. Throughout the day, follow your nose to see professional and amateur BBQ teams compete for supremacy in a Kansas City BBQ Society Master Series Competition. The festival is also the only one in Kansas to host a hard red wheat home brewing competition where the winner has their beer brewed professionally at Salt City Brewery in Hutchinson, and you can sign up to judge! Walk through a Ford Mustang car show and see the Ponies of the New West. Finally bring the kids into the YMCA Time Out 4 Kids adventure area with fun, interactive, athletic and educational activities. While you are here, stop and say hi to Sand Creek Charlie, the real-life ambassador of the festival, who resided in Newton long ago.
The Sand Creek Summer Daze Festival’s 2022 theme is The Sandsquatch Centennial! This plays along with the wording of the Newton Sesquicentennial (Newton’s 150th Birthday). Below is the the 2022 official button. Pay attention to our Facebook page for the Sandsquatch video commercials coming soon.
Purchase of a festival button gives you access to the fun, entertaining & educational events. Only a few events or activities will have an age restriction or require an extra fee. We encourage you say thank you and support all the local businesses and government agencies who support the Sand Creek Summer Daze Festival! Buttons will be made available for a discounted price in pre-sales events throughout the spring and summer, along with the chance to win Sand Creek Charlie’s Golden Ticket (an all inclusive festival pass), leading up to the festival. Buttons at the gate will be $5. Follow our Facebook Page to be informed of pre-sales events.
Before You Head to the Festival
The health and safety of our guests, volunteers, vendors, and performers is of the utmost importance. We are monitoring information regarding the spread of the Coronavirus (COVID-19) provided by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), as well as information from local and state emergency management.
In accordance with CDC guidelines, we would like to remind all guests to…
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Cover your coughs and sneezes with a tissue, throw the tissue in the trash.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom; before eating; and after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
The 2023 Sand Creek Summer Daze Festival will be the most interactive and enjoyable ever! Every year we strive to update our returning events and bring in new and exciting ones. We know all who pass through the gates will find something that they will love! Pricing will remain the same, $4 at all pre-sale events, and $5 at the gates. Any group wishing to purchase 50 or more buttons may do so for a $4 fee. Ages 5 and under are always free. All pre-sale events will be listed on the website and Facebook site throughout the year.
$4 – Pre-sale
$5 – at Gate
Children 5 & under are free
Corporate or Organization Bulk Button Pricing
50 buttons or more = $4
Where to purchase buttons:
Newton Car Show – May 6 ($4)
Pre-Festival Locations: 06-1 to 07-5 ($4)
- Union State Bank (527 N Main Street | 1212 Washington Rd Locations)
- Berkshire Hathaway Home Services (616 N Main Street)
- B&B Lumber – Newton (1601 W First St)
- Other Businesses: TBA
The festival will have a first aid station set up in the northeast area of the festival, near the rock shelter building. We want to thank Health Ministries Clinic for their donated time to the festival.
If you are a member of the media who wishes to film, photograph or broadcast from the festival, media badges are available and may be obtained by emailing email@example.com with your request.
Parking & Public Transportation:
Parking will only be available inside Athletic park in the west parking lot and right side of the circle drive as well as the parking spots around the circle drive. The grass lot across from the 4H building will also be open for festival parking with trolley service. Banners will show this parking area. See parking map (HERE) for details.
Why not ride your bike to the park and store it safely at the festival. You can park your bike just inside the North Gate of the festival. They will be secure inside the fencing. See a map of the festival grounds to view the gate location.
Do you or an organization wish to help volunteer for our community festival? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Do’s & Dont’s:
- Buy your buttons early.
- Remember to bring and wear your button at all times to and inside the festival grounds.
- Bring your phone for surprise giveaways during the festival.
- Wear sunscreen and comfortable footwear.
- Check out the interactive map of the festival on the mobile or regular site.
- Check the website weekly for special added events and other fun contests.
- Allow ample time for possible bag checks at the gate.
- Bring cash for buttons, various concessions and memorabilia inside the festival.
- Ride bicycles, scooters, skateboards etc. inside of festival grounds.
- Bring coolers or outside food or beverages inside festival areas.
- Bring pets of any kind into the festival grounds. (therapy and other medical pets allowed)
- Bring weapons of any kind inside festival areas.
- Drones and aerial vehicles are not allowed to fly over the festival at any time without prior authorization. (see media info below) Local authorities will be contacted.
- Sell any item, food or otherwise not approved by the festival on or in the parking lots around the festival or inside the festival gates