SAND CREEK festival, inc. PRESENTS
the saucy & glazed bbq competition
Friday, Aug 14th
* Public Tasting Competition – 5:30 to 7:00 pm
* Public Tasting Awards Ceremony – 8:00 (Area 3 Main Concert Stage)
Saturday, Aug 15th – KCBS Competition
* Awards: Saturday – 3:00 pm (Area 5 – Koehn Painting BBQ Stage)
It is easy to compete in this KCBS sanctioned competition with over $6500 in prize money to be won, whether you are an amateur or a professional.
* $175 Entry fee if participating in People’s Choice
* $200 Entry fee if NOT participating in People’s Choice
Additional Options Fees:
* $25 Electricity
* Registration fee includes four (4) festival buttons. The competition will be held outside the festival gates in 2020 with direct access to the east festival gate.
* Competition will be limited to 30 teams.
* Electricity will be provided for an additional $25 fee. If paying online, please add the option on the drop down for the full fee. Non-electric teams will be placed together in the competition for logistical reasons. 120v power supply is available no farther than 50’ from each space. Bring your own extension cords.
* The Peoples Choice Competition on Friday night is optional, but encouraged, for all teams. We hope that all teams participate in this event. Last year this was one of the top-rated events of the entire festival! We have listened to participating teams and explored better ways to host this event and we hope that the new guidelines make this a more fair and easier event for the teams and festival goers. Teams are asked to prepare exactly 150 servings off their own menu to pass out in 2 oz sample sizes (cups provided by the festival). The meat can be precooked then warmed up for convenience. To encourage participation, teams who select to participate will receive $25 off of their registration fee. The prize money for the Public Tasting will be $500 for the grand prize and $250 for the runner-up!
* Sampling and public voting will be more regulated this year, with tickets matching the number of available samples, sampling wristbands and a unique voting tokens.
* Larger trash receptacles and more small receptacles will be made available this year
* Ice will be available for sale
* Please complete your online registration in full and when you request cooking spots, please be fair with the size of your rig and serving tents. We could be limited on space and ask each team to choose reasonably. We will have 16′ for small teams, 24′ for medium rigs/teams and 32′ for large rigs. All spots have 15′-18′ for depth. If space is available after final deadline, we will make sure teams are comfortable with the amount of space each team receives. Stacy & Glazed BBQ Competition staff will park each contestant as they see fit.
Brisket, Pork Shoulder, Pork Ribs & Chicken
Grand Champion — $800
Reserve Grand Champion — $500
Third Place – $300
Fourth Place – $250
Fifth Place – $200
Sixth Place – $150
Seventh Place – $100
Eighth Place – $50
Ninth Place – $50
Tenth Place – $50
Category 1st place — $325 x4
Category 2nd place — $225 x4
Category 3rd place — $150 x4
Category 4th place — $100 x4
Category 5th place — $75 x4
People’s Choice Competition
People’s Choice Winner — $500
People’s Choice Runner-up — $250
Thursday Aug 13th
Teams may enter parking lot and set up their rigs from 4:00-8:00 pm. (no security will be provided Thursday evening)
Friday, Aug 14th:
8:00 am – 5:00 – Move in time (access to the park will be closed at 5:00)
5:10 – Team captains check in meeting
5:30 – Gates open & public judging begins (teams ready to serve)
7:00 – People’s Choice event ends and festival kick-off and concert begins
9:00 – People’s Choice Awards announced on concert stage
Saturday, Aug 15th:
Noon – Meat turn-ins begin
3:00 – Award Presentation
3:30 – Tear down and move out
KCBS Website: Click Here
KCBS Rules: Click Here
Payment & Entry Form
For more information, contact Nate Regier at email@example.com
PAY ONLINE HERE – this is the easiest way to enter all information and pay for your registration
*** NOTE: We will refund your full entry fee if we are forced to cancel this event due to Covid 19 & government order. ***
If paying by check, print off the 2020 Sand Creek Summer Daze Saucy & Glazed BBQ Entry Form It must be filled out in full, submitted and in the office by Friday, July 31st.
Registration deadline is midnight, Friday, July 31. After this deadline, registration fees will all go up $25 for all categories.
Make checks payable to Sand Creek Festival, INC and send to PO Box 915 Newton, KS 67114
Entry fee pays for FOUR festival admission buttons. If there are more than four on a team, other team members will need to purchase buttons.