SAND CREEK festival, inc. PRESENTS
saucy & glazed bbq competition
It may be the end of summer, but it’s still BBQ season! Come out Friday night and Saturday to sample some brilliant competition BBQ, dine on some scrumptious grub from local BBQ vendors & listen to live music! The Saucy & Glazed BBQ Competition is a Kansas City BBQ Society Master Series Sanctioned Contest. Master Series Sanctioned Contests are eligible for the American Royal and the Jack Daniels World Championship. In addition, all KCBS team members who participate in a Master Series Sanctioned Contest earn points towards the KCBS Team of the Year awards. This is the first time Newton has had this honor.
Friday, Aug 16, – 6:30 pm
* After the Floating Flotilla Parade (ON LAND), stroll to the West Gate of the festival to participate in the People’s Choice section of the Saucy & Glazed BBQ Competition. The first 250 plus people through the gates will receive a free Midland National Bank cup, cool summer sunglasses courtesy of Wild Prairie Event Center, participant wrist band and sample packet to vote on their favorite BBQ samples.
* Stop by the B&B Lumber / Traeger tent to watch and sample deliciousness from a Traeger representative as he demonstrates pellet BBQ-ing at its finest with a variety of different foods from your local Gillispie Meats and Meridian Grocery of Newton. Sign up to win a Traeger wood pellet grill courtesy of B&B Lumber as well.
* Dine on delicious foods from Wings & Tails BBQ and Freddy’s Frozen Custard & Steakburgers!
* Bring a yard chair and listen the Wild Seedz of Sand Creek Concert while dining on BBQ and other foods from various vendors and drinking a cold beverage…or two!
Saturday, Aug 17 – All Day
* The Saucy & Glazed BBQ Competition is in full force. Stroll the grounds and get whiffs of delicious BBQ aroma and watch teams perfect their craft.
* Watch the Kids Q’ competition and witness Newton’s young BBQ er’s go head to head for the best tasting hamburger in Newton. For more information or details, click HERE.
We now have 13 of the 20 spots filled. Please get your team signed up quickly before we run our of space!
It is easy to compete in this KCBS sanctioned competition with $6000 in prize money to be won, whether you are an amateur or a professional.
* Competition will be limited to 20-24 teams.
* Electricity will be provided for an additional $25 fee. If paying online, please add the option on the drop down for the full fee. Non electric teams will be placed together in the competition for logistical reasons. 120v power supply is available no farther than 50’ from each space. Bring your own extension cords.
* All teams that enter MUST participate in the Peoples Choice Competition on Friday night and serve meat for a minimum of 150 servings of each. Each team can choose any meat to pass out in 2 oz sample sizes (cups provided by the festival). The meat can be precooked then warmed up for convenience.
* Please request cooking spots for the size of your rig only. We are limited on space and ask each team to choose reasonably. We will have 16′ for small teams, 24′ for medium rigs/teams and 32′ for large rigs. All spots have 15′-18′ for depth. If you need a larger spot, please contact Nate Regier. There will be no room for the vehicles towing the rigs and they will be parked in a close proximity to the event. Sand Creek Summer Daze Festival staff will park each contestant as they see fit. A designated area will be provided for trash and ash disposal.
Brisket, Pork Shoulder, Pork Ribs & Chicken
Grand Champion — $800
Reserve Grand Champion — $400
Category 1st place — $500 x4
Category 2nd place — $250 x4
Category 3rd place — $150 x4
Category 4th place — $100 x4
Category 5th place — $50 x4
People’s Choice Winner — $400
People’s Choice Runner-up — $200
Thursday Aug 15th
Teams may enter parking lot and set up their rigs from 4:00-8:00 pm
No security will be provided until Friday at noon.
Friday, Aug 16th:
Noon – 5:00 – Move in time (access to the park will be closed at 5:15 for the kick-off parade)
5:30 – Team captains check in meeting
6:30 – Gates open & public judging begins (teams ready to serve)
6:30 – From the Seedz of Sand Creek Concert starts
9:00 – People’s Choice Awards announced on stage
Saturday, Aug 17th:
Noon – Meat turn-ins begin
3:00 – Award Presentation
3:30 – Tear down and move out
KCBS Website: Click Here
KCBS Rules: Click Here
Payment & Entry Form
* For more information, contact Nate Regier at firstname.lastname@example.org
* The downloadable entry form must be filled out and emailed or mailed back to the email address above or to the address below
* PAY ONLINE HERE– this is the easiest way to enter.
* Or make checks payable to Sand Creek Festival, INC and send to PO Box 915 Newton, KS 67114
* Entry fee pays for FOUR festival admission buttons. If there are more than four on a team, other team members will need to purchase buttons.